Wahey, let's spend someone else's money...
... oh hang on, that was my money...
1) First off, I need to add at least ten DVD titles to my ScreenSelect list in order to fulfil Alex's requirements. Suggestions gratefully received - I probably need at least five that I'll actually want to watch. Part Troll should be one, I think. Unfortunate Events perhaps another. If any Elgarites want to watch Phantom with me in our post-modern ironic way in the next couple of weeks, speak up.
2) I went with Alex and Andy to Bath in order not to buy a hybrid bike, and ended up buying a mountain bike. Hmmm, not quite how I'd planned it. And more than I wanted to spend too. That said, I'm told it's a very very good one for the money (it'd better be) and will go everywhere a hybrid can go and further. I looked it up on the net and was pleased to find it wouldn't've been any cheaper from Evans, which is good. The one below and the one above (numerically at least) are both cheaper though, which is a little strange, and there seems to be more about them on the net too. Maybe mine's the overlooked and unloved mid-ranger. I'll be going back soon for whatever accessories I might need - any suggestions?
3) Alex was impressed at the lack of wind and noise in the car despite the absence of roof. Andy, in the back, knew differently... Hehe...
4) I hadn't driven to Bath this year, and discovered somewhat to my displeasure that a whole load of new speed limits have been posted along the A4. Where before it went: 30, 60, 30, 40, 60, 30, 60, 40, 50, 30 it now goes something like 30, 60, 40, 50, 30, 40, 60 (briefly), 40, 50, 30. So that any journey will now take measurably longer, and more so, it's no fun any more... not that I ever broke the 60 limit or even drove right up to it, but open A-roads allow you to concentrate on just driving rather than watching the speedo instead of the road the whole time. There are a couple of places on the A4 where a 40 limit has recently been posted; one uphill section for example that I used to go up happily in fourth at 42-45, but now have to be watching the speedo, lifting off, not sure which gear to be in, and so on. So basically it's Wiltshire Highways = bad; Bath by train = good.
5) Bikes on trains. Contrary to what I suspected it's not necessary to reserve a place but is recommended. Apparently there's a supplemental charge, though whether this is a flat rate or higher for longer distance is unclear - on the Bath to Bradford-on-Avon stretch it looks like you pay more for the bike than for yourself. Anyway I managed to find some information about all this, eventually, on the First Great Western site. Though since I find it enough of a challenge to take myself on a train, taking a bike too might be stretching it. Incidentally, having battled through submenus to find the right page, I wasn't particularly pleased with "Plan you journey in advance: Check for any restrictions on the carriage of bikes, or if reservations are strongly advised." ... check where? Can't they just tell me? etc.
6) Andy wants to talk about accessories... better go...
1) First off, I need to add at least ten DVD titles to my ScreenSelect list in order to fulfil Alex's requirements. Suggestions gratefully received - I probably need at least five that I'll actually want to watch. Part Troll should be one, I think. Unfortunate Events perhaps another. If any Elgarites want to watch Phantom with me in our post-modern ironic way in the next couple of weeks, speak up.
2) I went with Alex and Andy to Bath in order not to buy a hybrid bike, and ended up buying a mountain bike. Hmmm, not quite how I'd planned it. And more than I wanted to spend too. That said, I'm told it's a very very good one for the money (it'd better be) and will go everywhere a hybrid can go and further. I looked it up on the net and was pleased to find it wouldn't've been any cheaper from Evans, which is good. The one below and the one above (numerically at least) are both cheaper though, which is a little strange, and there seems to be more about them on the net too. Maybe mine's the overlooked and unloved mid-ranger. I'll be going back soon for whatever accessories I might need - any suggestions?
3) Alex was impressed at the lack of wind and noise in the car despite the absence of roof. Andy, in the back, knew differently... Hehe...
4) I hadn't driven to Bath this year, and discovered somewhat to my displeasure that a whole load of new speed limits have been posted along the A4. Where before it went: 30, 60, 30, 40, 60, 30, 60, 40, 50, 30 it now goes something like 30, 60, 40, 50, 30, 40, 60 (briefly), 40, 50, 30. So that any journey will now take measurably longer, and more so, it's no fun any more... not that I ever broke the 60 limit or even drove right up to it, but open A-roads allow you to concentrate on just driving rather than watching the speedo instead of the road the whole time. There are a couple of places on the A4 where a 40 limit has recently been posted; one uphill section for example that I used to go up happily in fourth at 42-45, but now have to be watching the speedo, lifting off, not sure which gear to be in, and so on. So basically it's Wiltshire Highways = bad; Bath by train = good.
5) Bikes on trains. Contrary to what I suspected it's not necessary to reserve a place but is recommended. Apparently there's a supplemental charge, though whether this is a flat rate or higher for longer distance is unclear - on the Bath to Bradford-on-Avon stretch it looks like you pay more for the bike than for yourself. Anyway I managed to find some information about all this, eventually, on the First Great Western site. Though since I find it enough of a challenge to take myself on a train, taking a bike too might be stretching it. Incidentally, having battled through submenus to find the right page, I wasn't particularly pleased with "Plan you journey in advance: Check for any restrictions on the carriage of bikes, or if reservations are strongly advised." ... check where? Can't they just tell me? etc.
6) Andy wants to talk about accessories... better go...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home