1A not A1
My 'filing' has brought me to my 1A notes. So the misty-eyed nostalgia for 1B is replaced by more of a hot, panicky nostalgia. I still haven't forgiven myself or the world at large for my shambolic attempts at Maths and Physics. But then again I tend to beat myself up about not having a degree in Chemistry, too. Or a degree in Archaeology, or History, or English, or Law, or Music, or Medicine... feels like I'd need all of those to hold my head up in society. I suppose that's not very healthy...

8 Comments:
Why is Natsci not worthy?
Most of it is, but I somehow feel that Experimental Psychology doesn't have the respect it deserves. People confuse it, I suspect with SPS/Social/Big-Brother psychology rather than the serious, scientific study of how the brain/mind works and fails to work. That said I'm not much keen on the subject really. Anyway, not being physicists (weird but respected) or proper biologists (always in demand) we tend towards the 'interesting but unemployable' category but without being, erm, interesting like Arch'n'Anthers are.
As for NatSci in general, well, people who do Arts degrees do very little work and everyone thinks they're cool at the end of it, whereas us scientists work all the time and come out as geeks. Or so the sweeping generalisation goes...
Oh I forgot Chemists. Which is largely what the Natural Sciences Tripos does, too. Ever met a Chemical NatSci at a freshers' mingle? Anyway, chemists are frightfully employable and frightfully convinced of the importance of their subject. When I decided to do 'interesting but unemployable' subjects in the 2nd year, rather than chemistry, it was with the aim of spending a year learning really cool stuff rather than spending a year hating myself, my subject, and the whole university which I did at times in the first year... but will hindsight show that I would've been better off as a Chemist than as a PsychoNatSci?
And for the record, I did Experimental Psychology, Animal Biology, and History & Philosophy of Science in the second year and it totally rocked.
commenting on your own blog? what has the world come to?
Well, it's easier than replying to comments by email, frankly... and allows me to say the things I forgot to mention...!
You've forgotten chemical engineering too.
Although it's possible that you, like many others, consider it sacred and hence dare not utter the blasphemous words.
Hehe... I found my old ChemEng prospectus during yesterday's tidying. I'm sure ChemEngers are eminently employable as ChemEngers, and I daresay their qualifications are no less relevant than mine for anything else...
Post a Comment
<< Home