Additionally...
1) I think it must have been the BBMF - Google revealed that is is the Lancaster and not the B-17 that has a |-| tail and the BBMF have the only airworthy Lancaster outside Canada. Still not sure whether the others were Hurricanes. Anyhoo they're all due at Dartmouth tomorrow and they were flying south-west, so it makes sense.
2) Forgot to mention the dude we saw on a recumbent bike. That's stylish travel, etc. And he even gave us a cheery hello.
3) My battery meter got down to 0% just then and the computer didn't put itself to sleep as it should. All plugged in and OK now though.
4) Please note if you're trying to cycle through Melksham on NCR4; at one point you come to a roundabout and are directed left towards the new Semington bypass. Within about twenty metres you're then directed across a pelican crossing (or whatever the combined people-and-bikes version is called) - so you have to stop abruptly or cut across two lanes of traffic. I suspect that you're meant to (or should be meant to) go on the pavement rather than the road, which would make more sense. However it turns out that you end up on the old Semington road, exactly as you would by simply going straight on at the roundabout... you'll have to decide whether you think you're up to that!
The old A350 to Semington is now a beautifully quiet country lane; seems a pretty good illustration of the local value of a bypass, though no doubt some flowers were tarmacked over to build it. See, I'm big on the environmental tokenism, just like the RX400h (cf. blog, many weeks ago).
5) Just been watching the news; animal rights terrorists have managed to force the closure of a farm supplying guinea pigs for medical research. Their above-the-law tactics ranged from common thuggery to the grave-robbing of someone's mother's body. Which, let's face it, is simply diabolical. Now, I'm considerably more squeamish than the next man about animal welfare but I'm distinctly uneasy about putting rodents before people in this way. Besides which Britain has pretty much the strictest rules in the world about the use of animals in research, and if research is forced abroad it will very possibly go ahead with much lower welfare standards. I hope that, at the least, no animal rights terrorist ever accepts medical treatment that was developed with the aid of animal experiments.
Updated to include link.
6) My first Screen Select titles arrived today; Part Troll, which so far isn't quite as good as Bewilderness, and The Phantom of the Opera, which I don't really want to see, except perhaps in a post-modern-ironic way with friends. Hehe.
2) Forgot to mention the dude we saw on a recumbent bike. That's stylish travel, etc. And he even gave us a cheery hello.
3) My battery meter got down to 0% just then and the computer didn't put itself to sleep as it should. All plugged in and OK now though.
4) Please note if you're trying to cycle through Melksham on NCR4; at one point you come to a roundabout and are directed left towards the new Semington bypass. Within about twenty metres you're then directed across a pelican crossing (or whatever the combined people-and-bikes version is called) - so you have to stop abruptly or cut across two lanes of traffic. I suspect that you're meant to (or should be meant to) go on the pavement rather than the road, which would make more sense. However it turns out that you end up on the old Semington road, exactly as you would by simply going straight on at the roundabout... you'll have to decide whether you think you're up to that!
The old A350 to Semington is now a beautifully quiet country lane; seems a pretty good illustration of the local value of a bypass, though no doubt some flowers were tarmacked over to build it. See, I'm big on the environmental tokenism, just like the RX400h (cf. blog, many weeks ago).
5) Just been watching the news; animal rights terrorists have managed to force the closure of a farm supplying guinea pigs for medical research. Their above-the-law tactics ranged from common thuggery to the grave-robbing of someone's mother's body. Which, let's face it, is simply diabolical. Now, I'm considerably more squeamish than the next man about animal welfare but I'm distinctly uneasy about putting rodents before people in this way. Besides which Britain has pretty much the strictest rules in the world about the use of animals in research, and if research is forced abroad it will very possibly go ahead with much lower welfare standards. I hope that, at the least, no animal rights terrorist ever accepts medical treatment that was developed with the aid of animal experiments.
Updated to include link.
6) My first Screen Select titles arrived today; Part Troll, which so far isn't quite as good as Bewilderness, and The Phantom of the Opera, which I don't really want to see, except perhaps in a post-modern-ironic way with friends. Hehe.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home