Sunday, July 17, 2005

Tar Nation

I'm watching that Car Nation thing again; it really is a glorious freakshow. Strangely a lot of the people remind me of friends from college... the small, pretty, posh Northern girl (daughter of the decidedly, erm, interesting Speakmans mentioned last week. Her parents want a TV show so they can be like a modern Richard & Judy, a 'less crude' Osbournes; at the age of about nine, she's reading Margaret Thatcher and 'George Major' and 'knows' she'll be Prime Minister); the slightly kookie young teacher who gives names to all her possessions (wonder what that signifies); the materialistic Northern guy who owns nothing without a 'label'. Let's be clear, I'm far from wanting to meet any of these weirdos, but it doesn't half make for interesting if slightly disturbing television. Whoever makes this has an unusual obsession with Hummers though. Having called them all weirdos, I must confess myself quite taken with the kookie one, who took her yellow 1978 Mini, "Gently Parcel", into a petrol station carwash...

Update: I don't, of course, mean that the evoked college friends are freaks :) And interestingly, most of the characters in this show have something endearing about them... even if overall it's just tragic...
Have to wonder how these people got this way... I am inclined to wonder why they don't do something more useful with their lives, in several cases. But yes, I am aware that I'm doing nothing useful with my life at the moment, before you say it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home