Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Temps perdu

The heat this morning really conjured up the claustrophobia, the mingled fear and relief, of exam-term Cambridge. It didn't help me to remember what I wanted to do when I left, because of course I didn't know. I think I was too befuddled by being there in the first place to think what could be possible when I left. Perhaps I never wanted to leave. Though I couldn't've handled another year of the claustrophobic college life. And attractive, in a utopian way, is the idea of being a Cambridge academic, I simply wasn't fired up enough by my subject to want to stay and research it. Perhaps another time, another subject, at another university. Someone I met last week noted that the way I described my Cambridge days made it sound 'more like an ordeal', and in some ways that's true. Certainly my time there could/should have been quite different, though I can't say whether that would be better. Anyway, I think it was probably right to leave the bubble, even if it means a lot of painful nostalgia for the place. It's probably best not to look back too much.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

think yourself lucky you're not having to do the exams anymore...

June 06, 2006 8:52 am  
Blogger Z31 said...

Oh, I do. More so, since I'm in a frame of mind to remember what it's like. You finished yet?

June 06, 2006 10:09 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no. sadly not til saturday :( feels like these exams have been going for ever

June 06, 2006 1:45 pm  
Blogger Z31 said...

Well I hope you have something fun planned for Sunday! And for May Week and such. [drifts off in nostalgic reverie. And to watch Neighbours]

June 06, 2006 1:51 pm  
Blogger Sherry said...

Are you still watching Neighbours? Because it's been 5 days!

June 11, 2006 4:40 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Theres the nostalgia too, to keep him busy...

[has returned to the web after languishing in freedom from exams...]

June 12, 2006 2:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home