OK, so I need to connect together a TV, Freeview box, and VCR. Each has two SCART sockets; each has an aerial-in port; the Freeview box and VCR also have an aerial-out port. Any thoughts?
Wall--->aerial in on freeview box, Scart from freeview to TV Scart from freeview to video Scart from video to TV
I think with that setup you won't be able to record one channel and watch another though, which sort of defeats the point, so I guess the other option would be
Wall-->freeview Scart from freeview to TV Scart from freeview to video aerial out from freeview to TV
which I think lets you watch and record freeview, and fall back to terestrial (sp?) whilst recording from the freeview box. Take all this with a pinch of salt. All I remember from setting up mine was that it took about six hours and we can't watch one channel on freeview whilst recording another.
But obviously doesn't want to take responsibility if it doesn't work...!
I think since our most prominent Anonymous has now outed himself there's really no call to allow anonymous posting - though as you see I'm willing to leave the content at least in certain cases. Just think of it as a slightly more sensitive approach than simply disallowing anonymous comments.
Wall (ariel) to freeview. Ariel to TV from freeview. Freeview scart to VCR. VCR scart to TV.
You can daisy chain Scart connections. It should switch to automatically select the appropriate source, but it can be a hit and miss depending on the inplementation.
You will never be able to record one channel and watch another as the freeview box will (probably) only have a single tuner.
So, JonC, would that mean the VCR would always be recording from the digital signal? And thus that one could watch a different analogue channel at the same time?
One could argue that it's worth trying to do without analogue completely, but personally I'm not ready to concede to the poor quality and many shite channels of digital just yet. One could also argue that the VCR is dead in the age of the PVR; for myself I'd agree - if I had a TV at all I'd want a PVR with it - but this is only for the kitchen so it's hardly worth the trouble...
Ooh I missed the excitement of the revelation of the masked magician. Does this mean I can't post Anonymousely any more?
Not that it would be particularly cunning as apparently no one else is, but how else will I be so modest with my witty, self-delusionary commentary?
Oh and to pretend to be relevant to the post in hand, connect the aerial straight into the TV, you'll just end up watching the crack that is Big Brother. Not that I waste my precious time watching that low-brow crap, obviously. (Go tourettes guy!)
Policy demands that I attempt to 'out' this person... I have a suspicion that it's our Finsbury correspondent, though I didn't know he used Linux, so I'm reserving judgement.
13 Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Definitely a blue job if there ever was one!
A what?
Some Nameless Wonder suggests:
Wall--->aerial in on freeview box,
Scart from freeview to TV
Scart from freeview to video
Scart from video to TV
I think with that setup you won't be able to record one channel and watch another though, which sort of defeats the point, so I guess the other option would be
Wall-->freeview
Scart from freeview to TV
Scart from freeview to video
aerial out from freeview to TV
which I think lets you watch and record freeview, and fall back to terestrial (sp?) whilst recording from the freeview box. Take all this with a pinch of salt. All I remember from setting up mine was that it took about six hours and we can't watch one channel on freeview whilst recording another.
But obviously doesn't want to take responsibility if it doesn't work...!
A blue job, as opposed to a pink job. (Something to do with motor-homes etc.)
Are you getting rid of anonymi posts as a matter of course now?
Erm, right, I see!
I think since our most prominent Anonymous has now outed himself there's really no call to allow anonymous posting - though as you see I'm willing to leave the content at least in certain cases. Just think of it as a slightly more sensitive approach than simply disallowing anonymous comments.
So who was the Anonymous Major? I can't believe I missed that.
Ignore my question; I went trawling through the last few posts and found the answer.
I have a reader from John's who drops in occasionally but I still have no clue who they are!
Wall (ariel) to freeview.
Ariel to TV from freeview.
Freeview scart to VCR.
VCR scart to TV.
You can daisy chain Scart connections. It should switch to automatically select the appropriate source, but it can be a hit and miss depending on the inplementation.
You will never be able to record one channel and watch another as the freeview box will (probably) only have a single tuner.
jonc
So, JonC, would that mean the VCR would always be recording from the digital signal? And thus that one could watch a different analogue channel at the same time?
One could argue that it's worth trying to do without analogue completely, but personally I'm not ready to concede to the poor quality and many shite channels of digital just yet. One could also argue that the VCR is dead in the age of the PVR; for myself I'd agree - if I had a TV at all I'd want a PVR with it - but this is only for the kitchen so it's hardly worth the trouble...
Erm, anyway, yeah, I'll give it a go :)
Ooh I missed the excitement of the revelation of the masked magician. Does this mean I can't post Anonymousely any more?
Not that it would be particularly cunning as apparently no one else is, but how else will I be so modest with my witty, self-delusionary commentary?
Oh and to pretend to be relevant to the post in hand, connect the aerial straight into the TV, you'll just end up watching the crack that is Big Brother. Not that I waste my precious time watching that low-brow crap, obviously. (Go tourettes guy!)
Policy demands that I attempt to 'out' this person... I have a suspicion that it's our Finsbury correspondent, though I didn't know he used Linux, so I'm reserving judgement.
Ubuntu all the way, dude
Post a Comment
<< Home