Thursday, October 06, 2005

Fiddling around

A growing sense of shame, and some string passages in the new HP trailer, galvanised me into getting my violin out. I don't think I've ever been so out of practice as I am now but I don't want to turn in to one of those multitudes that "used to play". Rather than tackle the same old sonatas and concertos (which as well as being hard, are also getting rather samey) I've been looking through a long-lost book of fiddle tunes, fancying that I would've been a reasonable addition to the CU Ceilidh Band (probably not true). It's certainly a lot easier than ten years or so ago when I last looked at the book... Seems that when sightreading fiddle tunes it's probably best to let the fingers do most of the thinking - that's probably how they were composed, after all...

Mention of the Ceilidh Band suggests that, were I to repeat my Cambridge time I'd want to be either doing a much less time-consuming subject or to be a lot more efficient and clear-headed so that I could actually do assignments within a time measured in hours rather than days and thus have much more time for the fun stuff (the absence of which from my CV will probably do more harm than the final class does good)...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home