Fireworks and stuff
TV; a necessary evil? I don't want a TV when I grow up, because if I have one I'll watch all the crap that's on it. But my experience last year when I was home alone for even four days showed that TV was necessary to prevent me going completely mad; and if I can ever afford to leave home, I'm going to be always living on my own, so I guess I might have to concede...
John's ball tonight, so I went up to Castle Mound to watch the fireworks. I'd always imagined Castle Mound to be a slightly-angled patch of grass, and wondered how one could see things from up there. In fact it turns out to be a huge great mound, presumably the motte of the eponymous castle. It was very odd to stand on the ground, yet at the level of the tallest buildings; Cambridge is so low-lying in general that being elevated gives a fully unusual perspect. I shall try to go back tomorrow to take a look in daylight. Tonight was very atmospheric, with a fullish moon, shrouded in wispy cloud, directly over the illuminated tower of John's chapel, seemingly at eye level. The fireworks were way cool, and I probably had as good a view as any. The plume of smoke drifting over Cambridge was impressive too.
Suppose there'll be issues of Varsity and TCS coming out this week; almost forgotten their existence. Every term is a big adventure, Easter term more than most, and Finals term most of all; the start of term is so long ago now it's amazing how much has happened.
These festive times to tend sometimes to make me feel lonely, although I really don't care like I used to about such things. The thought of having someone else always there by your side is kind of appealing but I'm sure the benefits of being single far outweigh the costs. But one really does need good friends.
John's ball tonight, so I went up to Castle Mound to watch the fireworks. I'd always imagined Castle Mound to be a slightly-angled patch of grass, and wondered how one could see things from up there. In fact it turns out to be a huge great mound, presumably the motte of the eponymous castle. It was very odd to stand on the ground, yet at the level of the tallest buildings; Cambridge is so low-lying in general that being elevated gives a fully unusual perspect. I shall try to go back tomorrow to take a look in daylight. Tonight was very atmospheric, with a fullish moon, shrouded in wispy cloud, directly over the illuminated tower of John's chapel, seemingly at eye level. The fireworks were way cool, and I probably had as good a view as any. The plume of smoke drifting over Cambridge was impressive too.
Suppose there'll be issues of Varsity and TCS coming out this week; almost forgotten their existence. Every term is a big adventure, Easter term more than most, and Finals term most of all; the start of term is so long ago now it's amazing how much has happened.
These festive times to tend sometimes to make me feel lonely, although I really don't care like I used to about such things. The thought of having someone else always there by your side is kind of appealing but I'm sure the benefits of being single far outweigh the costs. But one really does need good friends.

1 Comments:
Heya! The fireworks yesterday were amazing! And there were chocolate pennies with the John's crest on them ;)
Post a Comment
<< Home