Saturday, June 24, 2006

Little Things

... can make a day seem better. Or worse.

On the train this afternoon, standing in the vestibule, some guy was talking loudly (and, I suppose, jovially) on his phone in a strong local accent. I caught the eye of the girl opposite; she half-smiled, I raised my eyebrows. That was nice.

In the garden, walking on the grass with bare feet - and I can't remember when last I did that - I stood on a piece of gravel that had been sharpened by the lawnmower. You'd think this was bad, but there are advantages to having to sit with your feet up in the garden for 20 minutes. Really ought to make sure it's clean, though.

I've been regretting not buying some groovy brown cords from The Gap when I had the chance - the last time we saw them, they didn't have my size on the shelf, and I was spending the money I would've bought them with on a groovy brown jumper in pima cotton. Anyway, the woman suggested we have them check the stock-room, but I didn't. And now I feel like Homer Simpson, that day when he could have seen Mr T at the mall. And I'm searching eBay for some brown Gap cords, size - well, we needn't go into that - as sold until May 2006. These are silly concerns when there's so much trouble in the world.

Mum and I ventured out to find some food for dinner. It was 7:55. We went to Somerfield first, to find it closed at 8. Then to Morrisons [sic] for a change, to find it closed at 8. Finally to Sainsbury's - where I would've gone in the first place - to find it closed at 10. Hurrah! I wondered how the other two could afford to close two hours earlier on a Saturday night. I got a nice email from Sainsbury's the other day apologising for any offence they'd caused with their aberrant lack of apostrophising. I did consider writing to them again when I saw a sign in Aisle 34 for "air freshners". This, too, is petty. But I prefer to think of it as attention to detail, high standards, etc. Hehe.

My iPod is little, too. I was listening to 'In Our Time', and wondered if, even if I wasn't really paying attention, I might learn something subliminally. Well, you never know.

---

Oh yeah, there was a compilation show of MP out-takes on BBC 3 as well. No, really.

2 Comments:

Blogger jonc said...

Only old people call it "The Gap"



jonc

June 25, 2006 12:05 pm  
Blogger Z31 said...

Your point being? You're talking to a man who finds Grumpy Old Women one of the more sympathetic programmes on TV...

June 25, 2006 12:11 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home