Thursday Round-up
Thursday began with several trips to the Senate-House, all of them in vain, before Vicky and Andy turned up at lunchtime. Having sent them off to Newnham I finally managed to get hold of the results! Well done, psychologists - 12 Firsts, 45 2:1s, a good show all round.
We went down to the river for a while, though we only saw one race. I'm planning to spend a lot of Saturday down there, but I think that depends on the heat and the hay fever. And on whether anyone will come with me! If I can borrow a bike from anyone I thought the best plan might be to cycle to The Plough and then stump up for the ferry.
After dinner at The Cow it was time for a concert. Which truly did rock. It took me a while to appreciate that the guy right in front of me, not ten metres away, was the guy I'd heard so many times singing these songs. Very cool. The opening dude, Clem Snide, was cool. Ben's drummer was cool in a Mockney kind of way, and as for the guitarist... well, I've never known how seriously to take all the macho posturing inherent in guitar playing, but I think in this case the answer is 'not very'.
As for the music, the Dr. Dre piece was very funny, even though I have no idea who he is and seriously doubt he has a PhD, I think I got the gist of it. Kudos to that random Kate person not only for displacing Ben from his piano but for getting away with it rather than make a complete spectacle of herself! Having confidently predicted that Rockin' the Suburbs couldn't be performed live, I was proved very wrong, and Kate got another mention (replacing Jon Bon Jovi).
Many thanks to Andy for getting kick-ass seats, four rows from the front on Ben's side of the stage; the joys of forward planning (they were booked over a year ago, when the concert was meant to be in November - June's a much better time though)! I hope we didn't incur any permanent hearing loss... Thanks also to Jo Fletcher for putting me on to Ben Folds way back in 2002! Annie Waits still has a special place as the first song of his I heard.
I know at least three other Christeans were there last night, and I suspect there were more, which shows we're cool. No doubt about it.
We went down to the river for a while, though we only saw one race. I'm planning to spend a lot of Saturday down there, but I think that depends on the heat and the hay fever. And on whether anyone will come with me! If I can borrow a bike from anyone I thought the best plan might be to cycle to The Plough and then stump up for the ferry.
After dinner at The Cow it was time for a concert. Which truly did rock. It took me a while to appreciate that the guy right in front of me, not ten metres away, was the guy I'd heard so many times singing these songs. Very cool. The opening dude, Clem Snide, was cool. Ben's drummer was cool in a Mockney kind of way, and as for the guitarist... well, I've never known how seriously to take all the macho posturing inherent in guitar playing, but I think in this case the answer is 'not very'.
As for the music, the Dr. Dre piece was very funny, even though I have no idea who he is and seriously doubt he has a PhD, I think I got the gist of it. Kudos to that random Kate person not only for displacing Ben from his piano but for getting away with it rather than make a complete spectacle of herself! Having confidently predicted that Rockin' the Suburbs couldn't be performed live, I was proved very wrong, and Kate got another mention (replacing Jon Bon Jovi).
Many thanks to Andy for getting kick-ass seats, four rows from the front on Ben's side of the stage; the joys of forward planning (they were booked over a year ago, when the concert was meant to be in November - June's a much better time though)! I hope we didn't incur any permanent hearing loss... Thanks also to Jo Fletcher for putting me on to Ben Folds way back in 2002! Annie Waits still has a special place as the first song of his I heard.
I know at least three other Christeans were there last night, and I suspect there were more, which shows we're cool. No doubt about it.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home