Graduands' Dinner
Well, I'm not sure what to make of it really... the food was, I thought, very good, but it felt a bit like the restaurant at the end of the universe, and not in a festive way. As it was organised by the JCR and not by College, there were no Fellows there, so it felt a bit like a bunch of kids playing dinner parties. The JCR weren't there either of course, having gone home already, so it felt rather lacking in occasion, compounded by the fact that only about twenty of us were there. The others either hadn't paid attention to the adverts, hadn't wanted to spend the money, or indeed aren't graduating this year. I did think that squeezing us all onto one table, cattle-class style, was perhaps a bit much.
My groovy purple shirt drew something approaching approval - it was the one that made Hannah M talk to me, remember Becca? No, maybe you don't... - but I was eager to change out of my suit and gown into looser clothes that would, hopefully, make me look thinner. Apparently I looked like a 'random scruff' thereafter, but I'm very fond of Gap flares and my Ben Folds T-shirt thanks very much.
Conversation almost inevitably turned to coupling, and my objections thereto. I think (many) people are beginning to realise that university has not been the place where they would 'find someone', and one has to ask, if not here, where? (Wooh, déjà écrit...). The others indulged their curiosity by subjecting me to a round of "If you had to kiss someone in this college, who would it be?". Rather an unlikely circumstance, I thought, but at least you have an answer now. Though to be frank there are probably several equally (un)suitable answers...
Thanks must go to Helen for her contention that "you're not so unattractive that you couldn't get anyone". Praise indeed.
Time for an early night, I think, lots to do tomorrow. And another edition of ISIHAC coming up. Hurrah and so forth, for Radio 4.
I appear to be listening to Mahler 9. Interesting.
My groovy purple shirt drew something approaching approval - it was the one that made Hannah M talk to me, remember Becca? No, maybe you don't... - but I was eager to change out of my suit and gown into looser clothes that would, hopefully, make me look thinner. Apparently I looked like a 'random scruff' thereafter, but I'm very fond of Gap flares and my Ben Folds T-shirt thanks very much.
Conversation almost inevitably turned to coupling, and my objections thereto. I think (many) people are beginning to realise that university has not been the place where they would 'find someone', and one has to ask, if not here, where? (Wooh, déjà écrit...). The others indulged their curiosity by subjecting me to a round of "If you had to kiss someone in this college, who would it be?". Rather an unlikely circumstance, I thought, but at least you have an answer now. Though to be frank there are probably several equally (un)suitable answers...
Thanks must go to Helen for her contention that "you're not so unattractive that you couldn't get anyone". Praise indeed.
Time for an early night, I think, lots to do tomorrow. And another edition of ISIHAC coming up. Hurrah and so forth, for Radio 4.
I appear to be listening to Mahler 9. Interesting.

4 Comments:
Having met you only once (and seeing you around after that a few times), is it rude of me to say I agree with Helen?
Besides, everyone can't couple up at university, (although a fair bit will according to our Master!) because then you get these incestuous little circles of friends who constantly talk about the crap they got up to at uni.
Hehe, good point, it'd be like those irritating groups of people who went to school together... I guess I suspect that out in the real world one won't find the same quality of people as in Cambridge though...! Anyway I seem to have become rather hung up on this subject lately so I shall try to avoid it for a while.
I love you Stephen! Steph loves Stephen!
I may be in Adelaide, but you won't get away from me THAT easily...
I don't remember a purple shirt tho I do remember you liking Hannah M, despite the fact you only spoke to her about twice....
Post a Comment
<< Home