Going to bed soon...
... cos I need to get up early to try to get to the doctor tomorrow (though whether anyone would be able to see me the same day, I'd rather doubt). First a brief précis of the day....
1) Eaden Lilley are all fully booked for, like, ever now; so with some relief I avoid portraiture.
2) There's some question over whether to wear DJs or suits for graduation. I'll try both but am inclined towards the DJ at present.
3) Went to the careers fair; it struck me as it never had before, how a lot of people really are wedded to capitalism. Most of these firms seem to exist solely for the purpose of allowing the other firms to make more money. They don't actually produce anything, and it's hard to see how they make the world a better place. Though one could of course argue that one could serve the world better by earning lots of money and giving some to charity than by actually working for a charity... somehow I can't see that being a popular option...
4) I felt rather out of my depth again in the presence of those who knew not only that there was a difference between accountancy, consultancy and investment banking, but what that difference was. People who read The Times (I couldn't be bothered with going to the shops every day and spending the money, never mind all the reading... and I suspect I'd tend to skim over the stuff about the economy anyway). I'm really pretty naïve about most of this stuff. Of course as a NatSci one is trained to be a research scientist, not to know about the world of business...
5) Many thanks to Luke and Vix for company, advice, and food today. Vix suggested - to paraphrase slightly - that I need to decide on one of two routes: to be a monk-like academic, or to get a job, a girlfriend and a life and be 'normal'. Hehe. This said, I really have no idea where I'm going, nor who can help me to find out...
6) Just remembered that 'never having seen anyone from Cambridge outside Cambridge' is another of my shortcomings, as observed by person-from-previous post. Makes me boring, apparently. It's not as if it's my own fault, is it.
7) Thought, not for the first time, that the River Bar (without the bar, and with some other modifications) would make a great flat. It's easily big enough for one, probably too big in fact. (We're all used to living in one smallish room, and it suits me well enough for now). I have to say the thought of living alone for n years is another aspect of the future that I regard rather bleakly... And one reason why I don't think I'd mind working long hours at a job I enjoyed doing. Much better than sitting alone in a dark flat, which prospect in fact fills me with morbid terror even as I write... and of course in the real world there aren't a whole bunch of societies etc., which would allow one to fill one's time pleasingly if one were a Cambridge student with lots of free time (an oxymoron? an English student?)
8) Which reminds me, although my college room is nothing to write home about, both sets of friends from other universities who came up this month commented on it being big and being quiet/peaceful. Which makes me wonder just how much noise there is in a typical two-minute period in a typical ¬Cambridge room...
9) Bedtime. Huge amounts of stuff to do tomorrow. Must, must, must be up early. If you read this before 9am you could always consider calling my cellphone to wake me up :)
1) Eaden Lilley are all fully booked for, like, ever now; so with some relief I avoid portraiture.
2) There's some question over whether to wear DJs or suits for graduation. I'll try both but am inclined towards the DJ at present.
3) Went to the careers fair; it struck me as it never had before, how a lot of people really are wedded to capitalism. Most of these firms seem to exist solely for the purpose of allowing the other firms to make more money. They don't actually produce anything, and it's hard to see how they make the world a better place. Though one could of course argue that one could serve the world better by earning lots of money and giving some to charity than by actually working for a charity... somehow I can't see that being a popular option...
4) I felt rather out of my depth again in the presence of those who knew not only that there was a difference between accountancy, consultancy and investment banking, but what that difference was. People who read The Times (I couldn't be bothered with going to the shops every day and spending the money, never mind all the reading... and I suspect I'd tend to skim over the stuff about the economy anyway). I'm really pretty naïve about most of this stuff. Of course as a NatSci one is trained to be a research scientist, not to know about the world of business...
5) Many thanks to Luke and Vix for company, advice, and food today. Vix suggested - to paraphrase slightly - that I need to decide on one of two routes: to be a monk-like academic, or to get a job, a girlfriend and a life and be 'normal'. Hehe. This said, I really have no idea where I'm going, nor who can help me to find out...
6) Just remembered that 'never having seen anyone from Cambridge outside Cambridge' is another of my shortcomings, as observed by person-from-previous post. Makes me boring, apparently. It's not as if it's my own fault, is it.
7) Thought, not for the first time, that the River Bar (without the bar, and with some other modifications) would make a great flat. It's easily big enough for one, probably too big in fact. (We're all used to living in one smallish room, and it suits me well enough for now). I have to say the thought of living alone for n years is another aspect of the future that I regard rather bleakly... And one reason why I don't think I'd mind working long hours at a job I enjoyed doing. Much better than sitting alone in a dark flat, which prospect in fact fills me with morbid terror even as I write... and of course in the real world there aren't a whole bunch of societies etc., which would allow one to fill one's time pleasingly if one were a Cambridge student with lots of free time (an oxymoron? an English student?)
8) Which reminds me, although my college room is nothing to write home about, both sets of friends from other universities who came up this month commented on it being big and being quiet/peaceful. Which makes me wonder just how much noise there is in a typical two-minute period in a typical ¬Cambridge room...
9) Bedtime. Huge amounts of stuff to do tomorrow. Must, must, must be up early. If you read this before 9am you could always consider calling my cellphone to wake me up :)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home