Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Many things

1) I thought if I went over to Eaden Lilley I might be able to make an appointment, and perhaps find out what other people were wearing. The signs seem to imply that appointments aren't necessary, however, and my nerve failed me so I couldn't go in anyway. It was a bit hard to tell from outside what people were wearing.

2) I have, however, just had an email from the Praelector to say dress shirts are fine. I take it jackets are required though.

3) In my present state I'm even more wary than usual about breathing smoke on the street; it's not too easy for me to hold my breath though so I have to try to steer around them. Whilst trying to decide whether one guy was smoking (actually he was holding a key in his hand) I almost walked right into the downwind stream of an actual smoker. Must be more careful. Concomitant to this, and to earlier bitching about the BBC, please everybody remember that 'breath' is not a verb!!!

4) Why do people buy white cars? Maybe they make sense in really hot countries but not here. I know it's underhanded of the manufacturers to charge extra for the decent colours, but you should be able to get a discount, besides which, if you're paying £20,000 already what's another £400? The only car I can think of at the moment that looks good in white is the Fiat Trepiùno, which doesn't even exist (well, you can't buy one, anyway) - only a small, iPod-ish car can get away with it, I suspect. The fact that Britain isn't that hot may also help to explain why we buy so many open-top cars - we're one of the biggest markets in the world for them, I believe. Certainly there seem to be a lot around - I'd estimate that at 'home' there's one for every three houses or so. And it's not impossible that if mum changes her car we'll have two ourselves. The only thing more popular is the Citroën Xsara Picasso, seemingly - quite recently there were four of them in a row of seven houses in my street.

5) I went to M&S to look for black socks, because all mine are dark blue. Of course one can't buy one pair of socks, one has to buy several or, for best value, many. So I've emailed mum instead to see if we have any at home... I'm sure I can find better ways to spend £7.

6) I seem to have given up on meals, but I do still have free Nando's voucher to use; would anyone care to join me?

7) I've necessarily had to cut back my touristy plans (incidentally, alas, alack, tourists are allowed into college again, but thankfully only in the mornings), but I'm still very keen to visit the UL and King's Chapel, and I reckon I can make it that far if we go slowly. I'm also keen for the bus tour. I'd like to see the botanical gardens again but I think walking that far might be pushing it - maybe the Citi 4 could help on that count. I sound like a total wuss, don't I, but whenever I think it's getting easier to breathe it gets worse again so I don't want to exert myself too much (hehe, like I ever do). Erm, where was I. Oh yes, I have a kind of urge to visit Corpus simply on the basis that it's almost never open and you never hear anything about the place.

8) Whilst in M&S my thoughts turned again to middle-class-ness. Sainsbury's still seems quite middle class to me, but M&S is certainly more so. I've never been sure whether to despise the people who shop there for food, seemingly only in order to be able to pay more money for the same things, or to aspire to be one of them... I suspect these days the truly middle class are all about organic foods direct from the farmers, and all that stuff.

9) I'm sure there was more than this, but for all our sakes I think I'll stop now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home