Stormtacular
Well, the Bun Shop quiz didn't go all that well, but never mind. The fact that it was all about movies and TV didn't help us. Particular letdowns were 70's TV double acts, and horror films - where only my recollection that the girl in Ringu was called Sadako avoided a big fat duck (we got the point even without the surname, Yamamura). We were much better at children's movie soundtracks - yay, Disney - and movie posters. We called ourselves Three From The Top & An SPSer, in homage both to Countdown and to Emma's having just said something rather stupid (I forget what). I quite favoured The Final Countdown, but the others thought it was too morose, and I certainly wasn't having Three Ladies & A Little Man... Hurrah for chips with cheese, incidentally.
Then came the storm that everyone around the country has been telling us about. The lightning's been very impressive, because it's in all directions. However it only rained for a couple of minutes, and there's been very little thunder (that said, heard some a few minutes ago and the lights flickered a bit, so I've unplugged my laptop from the mains). Ooh, there's some thunder now. Although it didn't rain for long it must have rained a lot, because for at least tens of minutes the water carried on coming down the guttering and out of the trees (allowing me to take a look at the drainage system in New Court, which is quite clever really). I was standing on top of New Court trying to get the best view, but there were still trees and buildings in the way. Felt fairly safe given that there was a huge great chimney with a lightning conductor. Regrettably though, I didn't see any lightning strike anything. It seems to have begun raining again so maybe we'll get more stormage.
Grads were playing frisbee on New Court lawn ("it's worth getting struck" to see the lightning, apparently. Nature's glory, etc.); still not sure whether we're allowed on there given that the senior tutor said yes but the gardeners said no... Was a bit strange seeing lightning all around but not hearing any thunder or feeling any rain (although I could hear it in the downpipes and the trees). Most strange.
Anyway, perhaps tonight I really will get to bed early.
Then came the storm that everyone around the country has been telling us about. The lightning's been very impressive, because it's in all directions. However it only rained for a couple of minutes, and there's been very little thunder (that said, heard some a few minutes ago and the lights flickered a bit, so I've unplugged my laptop from the mains). Ooh, there's some thunder now. Although it didn't rain for long it must have rained a lot, because for at least tens of minutes the water carried on coming down the guttering and out of the trees (allowing me to take a look at the drainage system in New Court, which is quite clever really). I was standing on top of New Court trying to get the best view, but there were still trees and buildings in the way. Felt fairly safe given that there was a huge great chimney with a lightning conductor. Regrettably though, I didn't see any lightning strike anything. It seems to have begun raining again so maybe we'll get more stormage.
Grads were playing frisbee on New Court lawn ("it's worth getting struck" to see the lightning, apparently. Nature's glory, etc.); still not sure whether we're allowed on there given that the senior tutor said yes but the gardeners said no... Was a bit strange seeing lightning all around but not hearing any thunder or feeling any rain (although I could hear it in the downpipes and the trees). Most strange.
Anyway, perhaps tonight I really will get to bed early.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home