Reanimation
Gosh, what a couple of weeks! Your opinions now welcome on the following matters:
1) Which of the two offers do I accept? Obviously I can't give any details here so if you haven't yet heard about them, email me.
2) In the case that I could stay living at home, should I do so, in the first instance?
2a) And what would be a reasonable proportion of my salary to spend on rent? It'll have to be pretty high to get the kind of place I'd want to live in...
3) Should I, in the meantime, continue with the interview process for the third job? (Which I probably wouldn't choose over the others except possibly for salary reasons or, erm, if my referees wrote nasty things about me and stopped me getting the others!)
4) Opinions, informed or ignorant, welcomed on the matter of what car Mum should buy (her shortlist actually is quite short now).
5) And when she does so, should I buy her old one?
That's about all for now...
Oh, and I'll allow comments on this for a while...
1) Which of the two offers do I accept? Obviously I can't give any details here so if you haven't yet heard about them, email me.
2) In the case that I could stay living at home, should I do so, in the first instance?
2a) And what would be a reasonable proportion of my salary to spend on rent? It'll have to be pretty high to get the kind of place I'd want to live in...
3) Should I, in the meantime, continue with the interview process for the third job? (Which I probably wouldn't choose over the others except possibly for salary reasons or, erm, if my referees wrote nasty things about me and stopped me getting the others!)
4) Opinions, informed or ignorant, welcomed on the matter of what car Mum should buy (her shortlist actually is quite short now).
5) And when she does so, should I buy her old one?
That's about all for now...
Oh, and I'll allow comments on this for a while...

9 Comments:
Ummm, here goes:
1. The second one you got.
2. Yes. Specially if you took the second one.
2a. I know you said rent, but are you including council tax and utilities as part of rent or budgeting for them separately? My first instinct said "a third". Now that I'm back in reality, maybe 2/3?
3. Yes, keep your options open.
4. Ignorant here: one of the new Lexus' - or should it be Lexii? So purty. Or the new-style BMWs with the projection onto the windscreen thingy.
5. I'd say go for it - you're used to driving it, you know everything that's wrong with it. If you don't want it though and it's cheap I might put an offer in :)
Thanks :) Matters arising:
2a: I need to find out what tax and utilities might cost - anyone got any idea? I think 2/3 is more realistic, but would it be crazy to spend that much? I think possibly yes.
3: Occurred to me later that I really need to reply to offers 1 and 2 by Friday, so there's not much point going to a further interview on Monday.
4: Ignorant more of our budget than of the cars, I think! We're really looking at things more like what she currently has - C4, Clio, 207, Mini, and such.
5: Think you're right here - better the devil you know. And it will be cheap! As you know it's essentially a five-years-newer equivalent of Dan's car [this doesn't unduly identify either of them, does it?], and hasn't exactly been treated too well...
When I budgeted, I budgeted on half of my disposable, (erm, meaning post-tax, though obviously pre-bills), income going on rent at the maximum. I then pretty much went to the top of that price range: I think once you set yourself a limit it becomes a target, much like speed limits.
I think if you were to take two-thirds you'd get somewhere lovely to live and then have an odd gap between where you were living and how you were living- although I realise you're pretty parsimonious, so perhaps that wouldn't bother you.
Of course if you live at home you'll be laughably rich and can take me on holiday... ;-)
TCH
What's your email address Stephen?
I've got an all singing all dancing automated budgetting spreadsheet that I made that could be of use to you. It's the basis for my entire life starting on 1st September :S
I'd also be interested in knowing what and where the 2/3 job offers are, purely out of curiousity.
Other than that, cars, I just bought a 98R Polo (automatic baby!) and can heartily recommend anything of German manufacture. Mercedes over Lexus any day.
I thought it was a bigger version (space, not engine) than Dan's.
The only thing I have against a Mini is that if you are stuck in the back sear there is no space and it's very claustrophobic and even if you have the strongest constitution you will feel ill.
Maybe a VW Polo? I like the way they look. (I think that's closer to the budget you have in mind). Or maybe one of the titchy Mercs :)
Tax: we pay about £800pa on our place I think. If you lived alone you could get the 25%off for single occupancy. Utilities, I have no clue but maybe a few hundred pounds per quarter? (I live in my own little world when it comes to bills so: salt - big pinch.)
Buy the car, you'll need it to get from home to Bristol (answers most of your questions in one!).
1) Job offers are (almost entirely un) like buses. When two come along at once, you should take the second one as it'll have less people on. Erm. Best. Simile. Ever.
2a) Council tax shouldn't be more than a grand. More importantly, if you pretend to be old and don't pay it, not only will you become the pin up of the torygraph, one of their kind readers will pay it for you, sparing you the fun (read:sodomy) of jail
3) Surely if your referees wrote nasty things about you ("Stephen is very hard working and you hardly notice his naturism after while"), these would also put of those behind door number 3. (Although see low hiring standards re:Simpson)
4) Ignorant opinion -> Maybach
5) If by buy you mean 'guilt into giving to you for free', then yes
6) Enumerated lists are fun
7) Giving your email to cpk probably guarantees spam for V41gra and canned meat products.
Hehe, thanks Mark (surely). (5) is certainly a possibility, though I might feel a bit bad if it meant Mum had to buy a crappy entry-level car instead of a mid-range one with shiny accoutrements...
It's Friday. Which one did you pick?
Post a Comment
<< Home