Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Linguine

Do you think an A* in GCSE French and an A in A-level German justify me in filling in the 'language skills' box on an application form? Theoretically I should have Basic French and Intermediate German but I've never used either 'in the wild' so I'm not at all sure that's true...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did for equally if not more spurious reasons, (GCSE in German and being talked to in English by some German people in Germany for three consecutive years...)

It's not about telling the most accurate truth, it's about getting your foot in the door whilst not saying anything indefensible at interview.

TCH

July 12, 2006 4:24 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And equally, what are the odds they're actually going to turn to you and say 'Go on then, speak some German'?

July 12, 2006 4:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes.

July 12, 2006 6:14 pm  
Blogger Sherry said...

I'd say yes. I grew up speaking Bengali, still speak it and did an O-level in it and while I personally feel that I have the language skills of a 4 year old while I'm speaking it, I still put it down as fluent, because technically I am.

July 13, 2006 8:42 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To respond to anonymous, a close friend was recently interviewed by Goldman Sachs for an IBD internship. Having put German down as a language skill the second half of day's interviews were conducted in German.

I personally always qualify the level achieved in my language studies and leave it to the employer to consider.

BTW, what is CHP? Google threw up combined heat and power as well as California highway patrol, neither of which seem to be accounting terminology.

July 13, 2006 2:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home