So, is this what it's come to...?
So it's got to the point when I'm getting really worried about money. When I don't just object to the price of a cinema ticket (£6.80 if you're wondering, plus £2.30 train fare to get there), I'd feel pretty sick about having to spend it. When I long for the day I can again feel able to buy things for my own entertainment. And a number of people have suggested I consider job-seeker's allowance, on grounds such as "it's not about rights. it's about the minimum standard of living which we in this country are fortunate enough to be able to support among people who currently have no job" (in response to my contention that it's not a human right to be able to afford cinema tickets). So, tentatively and with apprehension of being flamed for being dole-scrounging scum, I wonder what you people think.
Aside from the feeling that it would be pretty demeaning, and could do a lot of damage to my already-shaky self-respect, it does amuse me rather that the people would have to 'help me find work'. I'd like to see them try. But the same correspondent urges me not to feel that there's any shame connected with this situation. A sentiment that, I suspect, not many would share. Nevertheless it would be lovely to have an income of any kind. It's tricky, alright.
In case you're wondering, I have three applications in progress at present, and hope to get the first finished tomorrow, and if I'm really productive, the other two done and a fourth started by next weekend. But I'm away on careers-related business for two days this week so I'm not sure that'll happen. Anyway, we shall see.
Aside from the feeling that it would be pretty demeaning, and could do a lot of damage to my already-shaky self-respect, it does amuse me rather that the people would have to 'help me find work'. I'd like to see them try. But the same correspondent urges me not to feel that there's any shame connected with this situation. A sentiment that, I suspect, not many would share. Nevertheless it would be lovely to have an income of any kind. It's tricky, alright.
In case you're wondering, I have three applications in progress at present, and hope to get the first finished tomorrow, and if I'm really productive, the other two done and a fourth started by next weekend. But I'm away on careers-related business for two days this week so I'm not sure that'll happen. Anyway, we shall see.

5 Comments:
Personally, I think you should go for JSA; you definitely qualify and even if it gets you a crappy job, hey it's a job. If I wasn't getting support from my parents I would have signed up ages ago.
So which door is it that the "ayes" go through? I'm headed that way.
I tried to apply for unemployment benefits while at uni, I was told that I could either have my student loan or unemployment benefits, not both. Apparently our student loans were supposed to cover our living expenses during holiday periods too, ha!
There's no shame in claiming job seeker's, you're going to pay enough back to the government in tax over the next 40 odd years to more than cover anything you claim now.
Well, I for one work hard [ha!], paying my taxes in the hope they will one day support the decadent lifestyles of overly qualified Cambridge graduates.
But seriously now, take it. I'd rather you got my money than some Chavy [can one use Chav as an adjective?] scum. There is significantly less chance it'll be spent on Special Brew; but if I find out you've spent it on seeing Domingo in Leoncavallo's Pagliacci with your mates down the ROH, I'll have words.
I'd use 'chavvy', if I wanted to create an adjective. If you're going to spell it 'chavy' I'll have to insist you pronounce it with a soft 'ch' as in 'Chevy' (the car, not the actor). It will amuse me.
Anyway, thanks for your kind words...
I agree with everyone else, I think. I don't really think it should be shameful: it indicates that you're searching for a job, whereas, in reality, you are in fact searching for a job. So that would make sense.
It was good to see you yesterday, incidentally. And I'm envious of your ability not to feel the need to use swings for special needs children. It would be nice to have a moral compass of some kind.
TCH
Post a Comment
<< Home