What did people like us do...
...in the days before the internet? It's hard to imagine how I'd spend my time without it - I'm reluctant even to go on holiday because I don't know how I'd cope without being able to google, email and blog every few minutes. I can't imagine how a university would function without email - or even instant messaging. I guess phones were used a lot more but of course not cellphones. Maybe people visited each other more, or maybe we just would all content ourselves with the society of books. I do worry about what I 'should' be doing rather than sitting at my computer. I must be missing out on real life. But real life is so much less convenient, more elusive. Someone's much more likely to email you than come to visit, of course! I know that in my pre-internet days I didn't really have anyone I'd call a friend; I was lonely in a way I wouldn't wish to be again; not that I've ever made a friend 'over the internet' - rather I'd contend that its value is as a tool for building acquaintances, friendships and discussions that are at least nominally grounded in the real world.
And yet some people seem to go offline when they go home at the end of term. How do they cope?!
Comments welcome :)
Now for that 'early night'...
Update, because I just can't stay away: 03:08
I'm worried about what a mouse-potato I am (well actually I haven't seen my mouse for two weeks... hope it's here somewhere...); I feel that I'd like to be playing music, cooking, arranging my room, going out to places, but it's hard to resist being online, reading the news, waiting for messages. Here, unlike in the real world, there are people with whom to communicate, and things are constantly changing. But the real world is where I need to spend the majority of my time. So I'm thinking of turning my computer off, and not only that, leaving it off for - say - 24 hours. This is going to be a bit of a challenge, but I'll try to make it in the next few days. Perhaps when HP6 comes out it'll be a good distraction - though I'll have to resist going online to read everyone else's comments. So, that's the challenge. Think I can do it?
And yet some people seem to go offline when they go home at the end of term. How do they cope?!
Comments welcome :)
Now for that 'early night'...
Update, because I just can't stay away: 03:08
I'm worried about what a mouse-potato I am (well actually I haven't seen my mouse for two weeks... hope it's here somewhere...); I feel that I'd like to be playing music, cooking, arranging my room, going out to places, but it's hard to resist being online, reading the news, waiting for messages. Here, unlike in the real world, there are people with whom to communicate, and things are constantly changing. But the real world is where I need to spend the majority of my time. So I'm thinking of turning my computer off, and not only that, leaving it off for - say - 24 hours. This is going to be a bit of a challenge, but I'll try to make it in the next few days. Perhaps when HP6 comes out it'll be a good distraction - though I'll have to resist going online to read everyone else's comments. So, that's the challenge. Think I can do it?

1 Comments:
I generally use the net a lot less at home because I've got to share the computer with my family. We also had a dial-up connection, so it was very slow, frustrating, and meant that we couldn't stay on for too long, or go on at all if anyone in the family was expecting a call. We now have broadband, though! I find I watch more tv at home, and go on the net much more at uni (no tv at all there)
Post a Comment
<< Home