Page 123
From Ashes of a Phoenix (linked from Too Young To Die (to whom I shan't link because I haven't asked permission)):
1. Grab the nearest book.
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text:
'I confess,' said he, 'that I should not have been at all surprised by her Ladyship's asking us on Sunday to drink tea and spend the evening at Rosings.[']
5. Name the book, anyone?
6. Join in - post a comment, or stick it in your own blog :)
1. Grab the nearest book.
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text:
'I confess,' said he, 'that I should not have been at all surprised by her Ladyship's asking us on Sunday to drink tea and spend the evening at Rosings.[']
5. Name the book, anyone?
6. Join in - post a comment, or stick it in your own blog :)

6 Comments:
Yours: Pride and prejudice, volume 2, chapter 6 (thanks to a quick google).
Mine:
When someone offers a half dollar, take it in the palm down right hand between the fingers and thumb.
I've linked to your blog from mine, http://cnoj.blogspot.com/
jonc
No idea on this, and google doesn't help; could be anything so I shall guess at ... erm ... something by Jack Kerouac.
I shall link back to you once I get around to it.
Since nobody else is around, I'll go for another:
Of those early days we have some charming glimpses in the Chronicle of Friar Thomas of Eccleston
"Richard despised the harshness of the Welsh Baptist soap, but back home at Dan-y-Bont he'd entertain the family at tea-time by repeating the sermon of the day."
What, you needed Google to get "Pride and Prejudice"? For heavens' sake, I easily got it from the simpering Rosings reference, not to mention that Maloney's been going on and on about this book for days now.
Well, Steph, let's be fair, it's not a very manly thing to have read, and Jon is of course a manly man... I've only mentioned it repeatedly because I don't read nearly as much as I should and there's not much else to talk about. I watched the BBC version again; as the introduction to my edition of the book says, it might be more interested in the romantic plot than the historical context, but it certainly makes me chuckle. Almost every line, every gesture, every expression. I think it's excellent and it doesn't seem to have dated at all (perhaps a silly thing to say about a period drama, but you see what I mean I hope). There was another point but I forget it. Btw Sherry has posted a 123 on her own blog.
Indeed, I'm a very manly man....
And as none of you seem to have got mine yet, it's "Modern Coin Magic" by J.B.Bobo. A book I bought several years ago now, and am still no further to becoming paul daniels.
You were going to get a dose of security engineering by the Legend that is Ross Anderson, as it was the closest. Unfortunatly it was covered in misc. bits an peices, which I couldn't be bothered to push off.
jonc
PS Cricket is boring
Post a Comment
<< Home