Wednesday, July 06, 2005

"What the hell does 'rant' mean?"

1) In the space of two or three minutes, I passed about eight illegally-parked cars; and that's not counting those in marked bays that may have overstayed. Surely it would be worth employing a parking warden for even an hour a day.

2) I'm told London will host the 2012 olympics. It's just one thing after another isn't it... Although we've escaped paying for the Bath Spa by living in Wiltshire, I don't think we can avoid this one... though emigration might be an attractive prospect.

3) It feels like this is a town without hope, sophistication, intelligence, friendliness... a place of fat people in bad denim jackets, smoking. It's untidy, it rains too much, and even the sun is objectionable; somehow it seems fiercer and rather unpleasant, perhaps because there's not much shade. It makes me itchy. There's too much traffic, it's noisy and dusty. Yesterday I saw a car with a disabled badge blocking the emergency gates to the high street. Obviously the badge allows the car to dissolve to allow fire engines through...

4) I can't decide whether it's this town, this county, or the whole world that sucks. Maybe round here is actually better than other places; I only have Cambridge to compare it with.

5) Maybe it's a matter of state of mind, though. If I go around expecting to hate whatever I see, then I'm bound to see things and hate them. We do have a couple of decent shops - a small Ottakar's, not that it really makes up for the lack of Waterstone's/Borders/Heffers/G&P's; and some kind of delicatessen place that's lasted over three months now - pretty good going around here. We also have a pretty good farmers' market and a branch of Oxfam (not as good as the ones in Cambridge though). At least living in the town means we can walk to places, even if it's rather unpleasant. It's nice to have the option. I'd like a Smart though for journeys across town; or perhaps a bike and some cycle lanes; the fact that cyclists have to take the A4 or the scenic cycle route through the fields by the river because they can't cycle through the pedestrianised centre is slightly silly... But anyway, if one lived in a village, with a few notable exceptions of villages with shops or in cycling distance of towns, I don't think you'd ever go anywhere except by car. And at least we have a mainline station within a 15 minute walk. Maybe walking wouldn't be so unpleasant if I slowed down, though I don't tend to want to hang around when I'm out in town.

6) There was a silver lining to my excursion, when I walked past the roundabout and four out of about seven cars signalled correctly. Bravo.

7) It turns out that my parents' anniversary, which I've always known as being 'the 7th or 13th of July' is on the 7th... So I'd better try to do something about that. I looked with some distaste at a bunch of anniversary cards - can't stand the sappy or sentimental, and it doesn't seem appropriate - but Ottakar's came to the rescue. Bravo.

8) Better go and investigate that weird creaking noise. It might be my brother's window, which he's left part open and it's pretty windy. Or maybe the roof's coming off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home