I shouldn't be surprised...
... that a huge spider has just appeared running across my floor. Not sure where it is now. Pretty sure I'm not hallucinating this one. Of course everyone else is asleep. Hmm, what to do... Where the hell do they come from, I'd like to know...
Update 3:09 - it's disappeared into the pile of old Varsitys under the bed. This means two things. 1) I must make a new rule not to keep anything on the floor. 2) I may be sleeping on the kitchen sofa tonight.
3:13 Christ it's back. Unless there are two. It'd be funny the noise it makes walking on the floor / on newspapers, if it wasn't terrifying. May have to grab the toothbrush and make a run for it. For once I'm glad of my chair having wheels... am picking up things from the 'safe' bits of the floor to make it harder for the thing to lurk...
3:18 floor clearance continues. If only my spider-vacuum weren't in the study... i might be able to make a break for the door but do i really want to come back again looking for it? It's most unfair that spiders torment me so, as I've never knowingly harmed one...
04:02
So I made it out of the room, collected my bug machine, and regrouped... then I heard my brother stirring so I went and recruited him. We - he in the front line, me directing - spent about half an hour searching the room. Then, just as we were coming to the conclusion that, inexplicably, there was no spider, it appeared from the direction of the piano, as if in triumph over us. Unfortunately it spoke too soon, as it were, and a dustpan facilitated its exit out of the brother's window into the front garden. It would've gotten away with it if it weren't for us meddling kids. I expect it to be outside for at least a couple of hours (optimistic?) so I should be able to go to bed now. Most of my possessions are either piled on the furniture or out on the landing; i'll deal with them tomorrow. The floor is gloriously empty, though. Oh and it wasn't'huge' exactly, but certainly too big to allow easy rest knowing it was here... big enough to make footstep noises, as I said...
iTunes has continued throughout. ELO's 'Mr. Blue Sky' celebrates the reoccupation of my room by myself... at least for now...
04:14
Can't work out where it came from; for the last couple of hours both the door and windows have been shut. I suppose, as I predicted to Andy only yesterday, there may well have been a spider lurking in my old newspapers. Must sort them out tomorrow. I now know that slight rustling noises at night are to be suspected as spiders' footsteps, at least. I'm reminded of one of my particularly unusual arachnid experiences; opening the top drawer of my desk to find a spider inside; this was a drawer I'd had open only half an hour earlier, and obviously had left open and unattended... and this spider wasn't only big, in the way that scary house spiders are, it was also particularly evil/impressive; dark black, with a clear hunting mien. Barbs, and such. The Darth Vader of spiders. I'm not convinced, come to think of it, that it was even a native species. We walked halfway down the green before we released that one. But, unusually, we never did see it again. Yet - I may have spoken too soon but this was 3-4 years ago... still, never say never I guess.
Better get to bed...
Update 3:09 - it's disappeared into the pile of old Varsitys under the bed. This means two things. 1) I must make a new rule not to keep anything on the floor. 2) I may be sleeping on the kitchen sofa tonight.
3:13 Christ it's back. Unless there are two. It'd be funny the noise it makes walking on the floor / on newspapers, if it wasn't terrifying. May have to grab the toothbrush and make a run for it. For once I'm glad of my chair having wheels... am picking up things from the 'safe' bits of the floor to make it harder for the thing to lurk...
3:18 floor clearance continues. If only my spider-vacuum weren't in the study... i might be able to make a break for the door but do i really want to come back again looking for it? It's most unfair that spiders torment me so, as I've never knowingly harmed one...
04:02
So I made it out of the room, collected my bug machine, and regrouped... then I heard my brother stirring so I went and recruited him. We - he in the front line, me directing - spent about half an hour searching the room. Then, just as we were coming to the conclusion that, inexplicably, there was no spider, it appeared from the direction of the piano, as if in triumph over us. Unfortunately it spoke too soon, as it were, and a dustpan facilitated its exit out of the brother's window into the front garden. It would've gotten away with it if it weren't for us meddling kids. I expect it to be outside for at least a couple of hours (optimistic?) so I should be able to go to bed now. Most of my possessions are either piled on the furniture or out on the landing; i'll deal with them tomorrow. The floor is gloriously empty, though. Oh and it wasn't'huge' exactly, but certainly too big to allow easy rest knowing it was here... big enough to make footstep noises, as I said...
iTunes has continued throughout. ELO's 'Mr. Blue Sky' celebrates the reoccupation of my room by myself... at least for now...
04:14
Can't work out where it came from; for the last couple of hours both the door and windows have been shut. I suppose, as I predicted to Andy only yesterday, there may well have been a spider lurking in my old newspapers. Must sort them out tomorrow. I now know that slight rustling noises at night are to be suspected as spiders' footsteps, at least. I'm reminded of one of my particularly unusual arachnid experiences; opening the top drawer of my desk to find a spider inside; this was a drawer I'd had open only half an hour earlier, and obviously had left open and unattended... and this spider wasn't only big, in the way that scary house spiders are, it was also particularly evil/impressive; dark black, with a clear hunting mien. Barbs, and such. The Darth Vader of spiders. I'm not convinced, come to think of it, that it was even a native species. We walked halfway down the green before we released that one. But, unusually, we never did see it again. Yet - I may have spoken too soon but this was 3-4 years ago... still, never say never I guess.
Better get to bed...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home