Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Funky Town (wanted)

For some reason that now escapes me, I went into the town. Predictably, it was both raining and uncomfortably hot what with the hills and all... the sun in this town always seems rather disagreeable even when it is out.

It became abundantly clear that this is a town without traffic wardens; nary a kerb unmounted, a yellow line unparked-on. Many cars don't even begin to approximate acceptable parking. [rolls eyes] Oh for Cambridge where miscreants can even get a parking ticket at 7pm on a Sunday...

I'm afraid that, as predicted long ago, I must also rant about roundabout discipline. I was, I suppose, heartened by seeing perhaps two per cent of cars (i.e. about two) signalling correctly... There's something very 'slack-jawed yokel' about signalling right whilst leaving a roundabout... it strikes me that someone who's that confused about which direction they're going in probably shouldn't be in charge of a deadly machine...

It's pretty disagreeable having to walk along next to busy traffic the whole time... and having to use a bunch of pelican crossings just to get anywhere... stupid town. It's not a good town for driving in either, in case you think it's all been optimised for the motorist...

Still need to get that application in for the RA post. Trouble is I can't find a referee external to the university. It's been three years since I left my sixth-form 'job' and four since I left school... ideas, anyone?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home